SGUnited Traineeships Programme and SGUnited Mid-Career Pathways Programme for the Legal Sector
The Ministry of Law and Workforce Singapore (WSG), in collaboration with the Law Society of Singapore, will support Singapore Law Practices (SLPs) to tap on the SGUnited Traineeships Programme and SGUnited Mid-Career Pathways Programme to provide and support traineeship opportunities within the law practices which can include:
- For fresh graduates: Practice training contracts* for law graduates; and
- For fresh graduates and mid-career individuals: Traineeship / attachment opportunities in other roles such as paralegals, legal secretaries, and legal technologists.
About the SGUnited Traineeships Programme
The SGUnited Traineeships programme aims to provide traineeship opportunities to fresh graduates who have graduated or are graduating in 2019 to 2021. This will help them develop industry-relevant skills and boost their employability in preparation for the eventual recovery. By participating in the SGUnited Traineeships Programme, host organisations can gain access to a pool of fresh talent and be able to recruit experienced trainees when hiring picks up. The Government will fund 80% of the training allowance, while the host organisation funds the remaining 20% for the programme duration.
About the SGUnited Mid-Career Pathways Programme
The SGUnited Mid-Career Pathways programme supports mid-career individuals to widen their professional networks and gain new, in-demand skills while preparing for more permanent jobs in the future. Host organisations can on board mid-career individuals who bring with them a wealth of work experience. Upon completion of the attachment, host organisations may consider hiring well-performing individuals as permanent employees when business conditions improve and when they have greater confidence to hire. The Government will fund up to 90% of the training allowance, while the host organisation funds the remaining 10% / 20% for the programme duration.
*These are training contracts between a Singapore law practice and practice trainees, and are not employment contracts.
Singapore Law Practices
1. Licensed with the Legal Services Regulatory Authority (LSRA) and the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA);
2. Offers the following training / attachment opportunities (training must commence by 31 March 2022):
- For fresh graduates only: Practice training contracts for up to 6 months; or
- For fresh graduates and mid-career individuals: Traineeships / attachments ranging from 4 to 6 months for other roles (e.g. paralegals, legal secretaries, and legal technologists);
3. Provides clear attachment descriptions and development plans that would provide fresh graduates and mid-career individuals with meaningful developmental opportunities during the traineeship / attachment period, subject to approval by the appointed Programme Manager (Singapore Business Federation); and
4. Practice training contracts or other traineeships / attachments must be offered, accepted, and commenced on or after the appointed Programme Manager (Singapore Business Federation) has issued the Letter of offer to the law practice. The SGUnited Traineeships Programme is not applicable to practice training contracts or other traineeships / attachments where there is a prior agreement between the law practice and the prospective trainee.
- Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident; and
For Practice Training Contracts (for Law Graduates)
- Graduated or graduating in calendar year 2019 to 2021; and
- Registered with the Singapore Institute of Legal Education as a “qualified person” under the Legal Profession (Qualified Persons) Rules.
For Other Traineeships / Attachments at Law Practices
- Graduated or graduating in calendar year 2019 to 2021 from ITEs, Polytechnics, Universities, or other educational institutions (e.g. private universities and overseas institutions); or
- Graduated earlier from above institutions and completed National Service in 2019 to 2021.
The SGUnited Mid-Career Pathways Programme is open to all Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents, with the exception of recent graduates, who should apply under the SGUnited Traineeships Programme instead.